Frequently Asked Questions


Can this program be taken part-time?

No, this is a one-year (three term) full-time program run as a cohort.

When is your next intake? Can I start in January? In May?

The program starts in September each year and is completed in August of the following year.  There is no January or May intake.

How many years is the program?

This is a one-year (three term) full-time program.

I have a 3-year degree. Can I apply?

A 4-year degree is recommended to apply, but we will also consider applicants with a 3-year degree and relevant work experience.

If I have taken similar courses in my previous degree can I get transfer credits?

No, transfer credits will not be accepted.  The program consists of six core courses and two elective courses, plus the internship.  

What type of degree (discipline) do you require?

We require an undergraduate degree or equivalent in any Social Science discipline.

My academic average is below 75%? Can I apply?

We require a minimum B average achieved during the two most recent years of academic study. Thus, you are still eligible to apply, although acceptances are competitive based on your full application.

What are the job opportunities after completion of the MA?

We are training students for careers conducting policy- and practice-relevant research in government departments, not-for-profits, and the private sector. There is a wide array of job opportunities for researchers in all sectors, as demonstrated by recent studies we have conducted on the job market.

Is the Internship period paid?

Many but not all of the internships will be paid positions. Our internship coordinator and program director will facilitate the process of applying for and securing internships.

Where can MA students complete their Internships?

Students can complete internships in government departments, not-for-profit organizations, and the private sector. The key is that the internship positions must be research positions in applied settings.


Does the application require a “Statement of Interest”?

A “Statement of Interest” is not required as a separate component of the application but can be included as part of your resume. 

Do I need IETLS or is Duolingo sufficient?

IETLS is recommended but Duolingo will be accepted by the program.  More information on language and English proficiency requirements and tests can be found on the website for the School of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies

How much is the application fee?

The application fee is currently $150 CAD.  This fee is subject to change, as determined by the School of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies.

How are applications reviewed?

Applications are reviewed by an admissions committee consisting of members of the program advisory committee.  Once the application process closes, all applications are compiled and sent to the program admission committee for review.  The committee reviews all aspects of each applicant, and prepares a primary list for offers and a waitlist. The full process can take 4-6 weeks. 

Is a Waitlist created? How can I check my position within the Waitlist?

The program does compile a waitlist.  To check on the status of your application or position in the waitlist, please email

I’m having difficulty with my application (e.g., I am not able to upload my documents). Whom should I ask for help?

For help with the application process, please email  They are able to assist you with any technical difficulties.

Does the review committee take work experience into account?

Yes, all aspects of the application including relevant work experience are taken into account in evaluating applications.

I did my degree in English. Can you waive the English Language Proficiency Requirements?

Waiving of the English Language Proficiency requirements will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.  Please email for more information.

I graduated from a Canadian university but I am an international student. Can I waive the ELP requirements?

Waiving of the English Language Proficiency requirements will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.  Please email for more information.

I’ve attached all my documents. Can you review them and tell me if I can apply?

Applications are only reviewed once they have been submitted.  If you have any questions about eligibility to apply, please email

Is it possible to defer my admission to the following year?

Deferral requests are reviewed on a case-by-case basis.  If you are offered admission to the program and need to defer your admission for one year, please email  to request a deferral and include an explanation of why the deferral is required at this time.

Fees & Financial Aid

What is the tuition?

Tuition fees for domestic and international students can be found on the Registrar’s Office website.  These fees are subject to change. 

Tuition fees for domestics students are approximately $21,000-$22,000 CAD per year

Tuition fees for international students are approximately $40,000-$42,000 CAD per year.

Graduate Student Affordability Calculator

Please note that the calculator is not a promise of funding, nor a place to access scholarship support or financial aid; it is intended to provide an accurate estimate of how much money is required to pay tuition, fees, housing, food, and other necessities for a 12-month (three term) academic year.

Are there bursaries I can apply for?

Students are eligible for the MRPE Program Bursary valued at $6,000 each and are awarded to students who demonstrate financial need.  There are 6 bursaries available (2 for International students and 4 for Domestic students).  The bursary will be divided between the first and second term. Applications are completed on-line through the Western Student Centre portal.  Applications open in April.

MRPE Students are also eligible for SOGS Bursaries which are awarded each term (Fall, Winter, Summer)  to full-time members of the Society of Graduate Students who have demonstrated financial need.  Information on these can be found on the SOGS website.

Domestic students may also consider applying for the Graduate Work Study Program.  Details of this program can be found on the Registrar’s website. Applications open late August.

Does the University provide financial assistance in the form of fellowships or teaching assistantships?

As a professional Masters program, the MRPE does not provide financial assistance. The internship in the final term may be a paid position which would then help students with costs.

Aside from tuition fees, what other fees are required to be paid?

You can expect ancillary fees that are in addition to tuition. Details and the breakdown of ancillary fees can be found on the Registrar’s Office website.  These fees are subject to change. 

Students can also expect costs of textbooks in a range of $500-$750 per year.